Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pigs Are Preparing For Takeoff


Barack Obama took a step yesterday that, on the surface, I applaud in principle. He has decided to cut back on the proposed US missile shield defenses in Poland and the Czech Republic. Instead he wants something more flexible and claims to be worried more about Iran than about Russia.

I do not agree with spending millions on putting up defenses in foreign countries and then saying that is protects US self-interest. I understand these are our allies, I understand that they are part of NATO. But the US is not an international police force. A pullout of all US troops from Europe is something I support, as well as a pullout of much of Asia. I don't support the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, we never should have entered them. If you would have asked me that several years ago I would have had a completely different answer.

Our interest is here at home, where we are attempting to rebuff the overtures of a legislature and executive office desperate to spend our way out of a recession and impose not only silly environmental programs (cap-and-trade) but socialized medicine (all of the proposed popular health-care plans - especially the Bob Bennett plan). Let's concentrate on domestic policy. How about we stop giving so much foreign aid to countries that are dependent on it and use the money here?

How about if we stop spending and start saving? How about some civility on both sides of the aisle? How about if we actually follow the Constitution and not use it as simply as a guideline?

Don't get me wrong here, I think there are much more nefarious reasons President Obama pulled that defense system out of Eastern Europe but it is a move of his that I finally agree with and I applaud him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment