Friday, February 20, 2009

I Am A Coward

According to our new Attorney General, Eric Holder, I am a coward.

No, really, I am.

So are you. And your family. And your extended family.

All Americans are cowards, he says.

Why are we all cowards?

Because I refuse to talk about race. Here is what AG Holder said in a speech at the Justice Department -

Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards. We, as average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race.

This statement, coming from the first black attorney general, who was appointed by the first black president.

In high school, college, in our neighborhood and at work I have friends who are from many different backgrounds, including Hispanic, Asian, American Indian, and African American. It has never been an issue with them, why is it seemingly an issue with politicians who are trying to manufacture an issue?

In high school I was one of 3 white guys on my basketball team and the only white guy on my summer league team in downtown Wilmington, DE. So? It wasn't anything to them nor to me, we just played basketball. I baptized an African student in Leningrad on my mission. So? I love Edmund and he loves me, our differences in race was never an issue to him.

But people like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrahkhan, and now Eric Holder want to constantly remind me of our differences.

Hey guys - I DON'T CARE WHAT COLOR YOU ARE. You have the same tools that I do. I realize and understand that there are people who don't believe the same way I do and that are very racist. There are blacks, like you Mr. Holder, who believe I am racist because I am white. Isn't that racism also? If I criticize your policies or President Obama's policies is that racist? No, it is not. I am not criticizing your race but your lack of common sense and reason. Stop picking at this wound and let the problems heal, this isn't the 1960's again.

Address the real issues among the African-American community - critically high percentages of single-parent families, violence and murder rates of young black and hispanic males, out-of-control out-of-wedlock birthrates among minorities and now in the population in general, high drop out rates of blacks in high school, high drug usage stats among both genders of young blacks.

Mr. Holder, if you want to have a positive affect on people then address the real problem of personal responsibility.

Here are two articles on it - one from Bill Cosby, and another from Linda Chavez.

I am not a coward Mr. Holder. Stop using race and your office as a political tool and address the real problems at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment