Monday, July 27, 2009

The Bigger Picture



Incidents this weekend have reminded me how little I understand about what I know and how it fits into the bigger picture. I love this quote -

Man has, through the richness of the intellectual quest, become more knowing, more clever, and more skeptical. But we have not become more profound or more reverent. Nor have we found a way to put our learning in the context of the eternal.

Josiah Royce

For all that we argue about, think we understand, proclaim that others just don't get it - do we get it ourselves? Has our presence moved the thoughts of those around us forward? Backward? Nowhere? I think it has more to do with humility than it does in realizing what we don't know. I find that when I am humble I am more teachable. As I am reading my biography of Samual Adams I consistently note the humility found in the Founding Fathers of our nation. I hope that I too can be humble enough to receive the counsel God would have me heed. Thank our God for second, third, and an infinity of chances to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment